A Violation Of Trust: Federal White Collar Crimes
White collar crimes are considered "victimless crimes." They typically do not involve weapons or violence but do involve money - often very large sums. After the collapse of Enron and the implementation of stricter criminal penalties for white collar crimes under Sarbanes-Oxley, what was once written off as an innocent mistake or oversight is now prosecuted as a federal crime and punished severely under the Federal Sentencing guidelines.
At Roberts Law Group, PLLC, our federal criminal defense attorneys have over 45 years of combined experience defending individuals in North Carolina state and federal courts. Contact our Charlotte law office online or at 866-530-2389 if you are being investigated for embezzlement or accused of committing another white collar crime.
Charlotte White Collar Crime Defense Lawyers
Stockbrokers, business executives, doctors, lawyers and other healthcare providers are among professionals commonly accused of federal white collar crimes. At Roberts Law Group, PLLC, we have defended both young and seasoned professionals charged with:
- Mortgage fraud
- Real estate fraud
- Income tax fraud
- Money laundering or wire fraud
- Public corruption
- Larceny and embezzlement
- Bribery and extortion
- Providing false information
- Ponzi schemes
- Securities fraud
- Insider trading
- Price fixing
The investigations into these types of financial crimes are typically drawn out over a year or more before the federal criminal charge process begins. You may know you are under investigation if:
- Federal agents have questioned you
- You have received a subpoena from a federal prosecutor for documents related to financial dealings
- You have been summoned to appear in front of a federal grand jury by order of a federal district court judge.
Do not answer or respond to these requests without first talking to an experienced criminal defense attorney. You may think you have nothing to hide, but you also have no obligation to incriminate yourself; the 5th Amendment and your defense attorney should be there to protect you.
Charged With A White Collar Crime? Our Firm Can Help.
Our founding attorney, Patrick Roberts, has an extensive criminal trial background, having successfully handled jury and bench trials as a prosecutor and as a criminal defense lawyer. He is a graduate of the "White Collar Criminal Defense College" at Stetson University, training that included extensive coverage of the following elements of white collar crimes defense:
- Making presentations to the Government in the form of proffers
- Navigating the ethical dilemmas a client may face such as retention of his or her clientele
- The efficient manner in which to oversee the search of our client's records and related documentation
- The parallel proceedings with professional organizations resulting from an allegation of committing a white collar crime
- The most effective manner to represent not just large corporations but also the small corporation or individual
- Effective trial preparation and jury selection
- Conducting our own investigation, separate and apart from the respective government agency
Do Not Wait To Contact An Attorney Until You Are Indicted And Arrested
In white collar crimes defense particularly, getting a lawyer involved sooner rather than later can make a world of difference in the outcome of your case. At Roberts Law Group, PLLC, we begin working on your defense strategy as soon as we know you are being investigated for financial crimes. We may be able to challenge to scope of a document request or prepare you for the grand jury.
Contact our firm online or at 800-511-7869 to speak with a lawyer at our Charlotte office.